The Power of Infant Massage
Infant Massage Benefits for Babies
It is never too late to begin massage. Whether your baby is a newborn or several years old, massage can bring immediate ad lasting results. Expectant parents who take infant massage instruction in advance are ready to begin this wonderful loving touch right from the start.
Benefits for infants, babies and children include:
- Provides a special time of communication that fosters love, compassion, and respect
- Improves general well-being
- Provides an intimate time for children to confide in parents
- Helps baby/child to sleep deeper and more soundly
- Can improve overall functioning of the gastrointestinal tract which can result in increased nutrient absorption
- Enhances release of hormones in the body including the growth hormone which helps weight gain
- Promotes relaxation and helps babies self-regulate calm, which reduces crying
- Helps to normalize muscle tone
- Improves circulation
- Helps to improve sensory and body awareness
- Enhances neurological development
- Helps with congestion, gas, and colic symptoms
- Helps with teething through release of endorphins as well as through relaxation
- Reduces levels of cortisol, the stress hormone
- Stimulates all of the physiological systems. Massage sparks the neurons in their brains to grow and branch out to encompass other neurons
Benefits for Parents include:
- Provides all of the essential indicators of intimate parent-infant bonding and attachment: eye-to-eye, touch voice, smell, movement, and thermal regulation
- Encourages pre-verbal communication between caregiver and infant
- Helps parents feel more confident and competent in caring for their children
- Helps parents to ease their stress if they are a working parent and must be separated from their child for extended periods during the day
- Provides parents with one-on-one quiet time or interactive play with their children
- Creates a regular time of intimacy between parent and child
- Increases parents’ self-esteem by reinforcing and enhancing their skills as parents, and validates their role
- Gives parents the tools for understanding their child’s unique rhythms and patterns
- Teaches parents how to read their infants ‘cues and recognize their states of awareness
- Daily massage helps parents to unwind and relax as the same calming hormones that release for baby, are also released for the parent
- Provides a positive way for fathers to interact with their infants/children
Infant Massage can be learned in a variety of ways:
- Host a class in your home with a minimum of four families and the host/hostess receive 50% off their fee
- Prenatal Classes
- Daddy and me
- Movers and Shakers Class (for those older babies on the move!)
- Sibling Classes (help your child adjust to the arrival of a sibling through learning massage)
- Infant Massage for Grandparents
- In home, one on one sessions
- Public group classes
- One time classes or a series of classes
Find an Infant Massage Class in your Community
Public classes are offered as a one time class as well as 3 week series.
One time class fees are for one child and two caregivers (per family) $50 + GST
- Infant Massage for Sleep
- Infant Massage for Colic
- Infant Massage for Teething
- Infant Massage for Grandparents
- Movers and Shakers
- Prenatal Class for Parents (infant dolls provided)
3 Week series fees are for one child and two caregivers (per family) $45/class = $135+GST
- Infant Massage for Bonding and Attachment
- Daddy and Me (Dads and Grandfathers welcome)
- Prenatal Class for Parents (includes information on infant massage as well as infant attachment)
- Postnatal Depression/Anxiety and Infant Massage
The fees listed represent travel within 15 km from my office, after that a $25 travel fee may apply.
Blissful Babies 3 Week Private Infant Massage Class – $300 + GST
Learn the massage protocols with your baby in the comfort and convenience of your own home. Strokes and protocols will be completely personalized to meet your baby’s specific needs and preferences. Other newborn topics discussed include newborn soothing, crying, feeding and sleep strategies. Included in the class is a bottle of natural massage oil and a package of handouts regarding the information covered.
Please use my Contact Form to get in touch with me if you are interested in scheduling a three week series.
Private Group Class $50-$140 + GST
If you would like to host a small group of friends who are interested in a class (minimum of 4 parent/baby pairs), I can come to you, in your home, for private group classes. This class is best suited for infants from 3 weeks of age to pre-crawling). If a parent has an older child or is pregnant, I can provide a doll for them to practise on. The hosting parents who organize the class will receive 50% off the regular price of the classes! You can schedule a single class which covers the basics ($50/family), or you can plan a 3 week series ($140/family). Contact me for available dates and times.
Sibling Preparedness Class – $100-$300 + GST
If you are expecting another child and you would like to help your children adjust to the idea of a sibling entering the family, a beautiful way to do this is through including them in learning infant massage. The child can learn to massage a stuffy or doll while the parents/caregivers learn as well. This class can be offered in a single session ($100 +GST) with unlimited number of children and two parents and grandparents) or as a series over 3 weeks ($300 + GST) in your home.
Have an idea for Infant Massage and don’t see it on here? Contact me to discuss the possibilities!
Gift Certificates Make a Great Gift!