Post Abortion Support
The choice to medically terminate a pregnancy can be overwhelming and devastating for both the woman and her partner. It is often a secret that is kept and can lead to feelings of guilt and isolation. The entire process may have left you feeling traumatized despite having some choice in the decision making process. Some women experience strong negative feelings immediately after the termination and other may experience difficulties years later. Post abortion grief can be related to a woman’s age, length of pregnancy, previous mental health, religious or cultural beliefs, or whether she was pressured into the termination.
Post Abortion Stress is described as the inability to:
- Process the painful thoughts and emotions about a crisis pregnancy and subsequent abortion – guilt, anger and sorrow.
- Identify the loss that has incurred
- Come to peace with self and others
Symptoms of Post Abortion Stress may include:
- Feeling compelled to conceal an abortion
- Experiencing prolonged depression
- Psychological “numbing”
- Experiencing disturbing thoughts about babies and abortion
- Having lingering guilt and shame
- Believing you are unworthy
- Avoiding relationships or struggling with intimacy
- Reacting physically and emotionally when abortion is mentioned
- Anxiety over fertility or childbearing issues
If you feel that you have not fully resolved your experience, I can help. Please contact me to see how we can work together to help you move forward in your life in a way that can offer healing. I offer counselling one on one as well as for couples.